WHAT A NIGHT!!!

Here's more from World of Outlaws Late Models website, written by Kevin Kovac
http://www.worldofoutlaws.com/LateModel/News/2009/May/052509_LM_TriStNotes.aspx

WHAT A NIGHT:
It appeared that UMP DIRTcar star Jason Feger’s planned weekend of WoO LMS action might be done when he experienced terminal engine woes as he took the checkered flag in a heat-race transfer spot on Friday at U.S. 36 Raceway.“This is the first time we ran this car and motor this year and the motor broke,” said a dejected Feger, who headed home to Bloomington, Ill., after taking the A-Main green flag in Jason Frankel’s machine for start money. “We have the car we’ve run all year back in the shop, but it has a thousand laps on it so I don’t know if it can do two more (WoO LMS) shows.”


Alas, Feger, 30, decided to press on with his battle-tested equipment. He was in the parking lot of 34 Raceway in West Burlington, Iowa, when Saturday night’s program there was called off due to rain, and he made the tow to Charter on Sunday.Feger certainly made the correct choice. Using the tired-but-still-strong Pro Power engine that he bought several years ago for $10,000 from fellow racer Ryan Dauber, Feger set fast time and came off the outside pole to lead the 40-lap A-Main from flag-to-flag for his first career WoO LMS triumph.

While the win was undoubtedly the biggest of his dirt Late Model career, Feger was also proud of the fact that he gave chassis builder Bob Pierce his first victory in WoO LMS competition.“Bob Pierce has really helped me a bunch and now I think we’ve finally turned the corner with these cars,” said Feger. “It feels great to get Bob a World of Outlaws win, but I would’ve been just as excited if Stevie Sheppard (Jr.) was the first one to win (a WoO LMS event) with one of these cars. Stevie is one of my teammates, one of my sponsors and a real good friend, and he had a real good run Friday (at U.S. 36) with his (Pierce) car. I was jumping up-and-down on the sidelines rooting for him (until engines problems knocked Sheppard from contention).

”Feger hopes that his huge win will turn some heads and help fuel his desire to become a fulltime dirt Late Model driver in the future. His goal is to someday follow the WoO LMS.“I think a lot of the World of Outlaws guys have respect for me,” said Feger. “I’m friends with most of them. We get along good, and they know I can race with them because we’ve done it before.“I’d love to run with the World of Outlaws someday, but right now our program isn’t at that level. I have real good equipment, but I don’t have enough of it to get out and do it fulltime far from home.“Maybe some people who were here tonight that hadn’t seen me race might want to do something,” he continued. “But if nothing else comes from this win, it’s more money to keep funding this deal myself.”

DOWN IN THE DUMPS: UMP DIRTcar stalwart Steve Sheppard Jr. and his 16-year-old son Brandon had a busy weekend of WoO LMS racing planned, but it ended abruptly when a promising night at U.S. 36 Raceway went horribly wrong.The elder Sheppard saw what was shaping up to be the best WoO LMS performance of his career go south on lap 39. After leading laps 1-20 of the 50-lap A-Main and then moving back in to challenge eventual winner Steve Francis for the lead following a lap-33 caution flag, the New Berlin, Ill., driver pulled off with a burnt piston during a caution period.

With Brandon Sheppard already having dropped out of the B-Main due to engine trouble, Steve Sheppard was disconsolate in the pit area as his team loaded up. He said that Friday’s troubles left him with five broken motors, so he had no choice but to abandon his hopes of following the three-race swing.Sheppard could only wonder what might have been after flirting with WoO LMS glory.“I don’t know if I would’ve been able to get back by Francis, but I was gonna give ‘em all I had, I guarantee you that,” said Sheppard. “I think I had a shot, but we’ll never know now.”